Monday, November 14, 2011

Thanksgiving plans

Okay, okay--I know. I'm REALLY bad at updating the blog, after I made so many promises that I would! Silly me.

The holiday season is fast approaching and JJ and I are stuck with the realization that we will be nearly 3,000 miles from home for Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. Even though this is really difficult to come to terms with, we are trying to look on the bright side. This Thanksgiving, we may not be spending time in Sierra Vista or Phoenix with family, but you can bet your booty that I'm still going to cook a turkey (even if it's just for two of us)! And I most certainly am going to partake in one of my family's most time-honored traditions: turkey taquitos!

Ever since I was little, my mom has always used the leftover turkey not to make soup or casserole or hot turkey sandwiches...no. Instead, she has always ground it all up and spent the entire day after Thanksgiving making the most deliciously mouth-watering homemade turkey taquitos and chile rellenos ever. A long time ago, this "second day feast" used to be shared with just my immediate family and my aunt and uncle's family who live in Sierra Vista, but as the years have gone on, Thanksgiving Friday has become arguably a bigger deal in my family than even Thanksgiving itself. When my cousins and I were in high school, it was likely that many of our hungry friends would make the trip down to southern Arizona to partake in the Mexican feast...and for good reason! People literally fight over those taquitos...they are that delicious.

Well, this year I'm going to try to bring a little bit of home to Massachusetts. After years of helping in the construction of those delicious and awesomely messy taquitos, I'm going to try to make them all by my lonesome. Well....maybe I'll let JJ be my sioux-chef. =D

In other news, JJ and I finally have a couch! After nearly 2 months of sitting on the floor, we feel like grown-ups with our own living room set! Never mind that our mattress is still on the floor and our "dining room table" is a card table...little steps people! Little steps!


1 comment:

  1. I am salivating over the turkey taquitos!!! Sounds delicious! Congrats on the new couch! Lets see that baby!!

    ReplyDelete